COVID Training Update
There will be fall trainings for Motivational Interviewing.There will be a variety of possibilities so we’ll be ready to go no matter what’s happening Covid-wise. If all goes well, there will be in-person workshops that will meet all health requirements. If in-person workshops are not feasible, we’ll move to online delivery.
In Alberta, we are waiting to see if Stage 3 is implemented and what it’s requirements will be. Open workshops are offered through AHVNA (Alberta Home Visitor Network Association). These workshops are open to everyone and a variety of practitioners attend. We will announce dates in the next few weeks as we get a better picture of how things are unfolding. Hope you are having a great summer!
To be announced
To be announced
Lots of staff?
If you want to get MI training for a larger number of staff, check out onsite training.
- Onsite training can be customized to your workplace and can be more cost-effective.
Workshops can be customized to your agency and time available.
Introduction - 1 hour to 1 day
A lively introduction to the research and theory of MI. Contact us to discuss how an MI Intro can meet your needs for a useful, fun and engaging conference or speaking presentation.
Level 1 MI - 2 days
Learn the theory and skills of MI: all about change and motivation, how to get started, basic MI skills. Participants will be able to:
- describe MI’s spirit of helping
- explain why people do and do not change and how practitioners can influence the direction of a meeting
- learn to do more activities that encourage change and reduce activities that interfere with change
- learn and practice the basic skills of MI to elicit change talk and dance with discord.
Level 2 MI - 2 days
Develop more skill and confidence in using MI. For people who have had a previous 2-day training in MI. Participants will:
- learn more ways to dance with discord and elicit change talk
- strengthen MI skills through practice and feedback
- improve recognition of the shift to readiness (the Planning process) and how to build commitment for change
- apply MI theory and skills to address difficult consultations.
Mastering MI Coaching - variable
Move to mastery of MI with follow-up coaching. Working with a small group, receive concrete feedback using MI's coding system, learn to give feedback (which teaches you what to watch for), and continue to advance your skills.
Stages of Change Model – 1 day
The Transtheoretical Model of Change (developed by Prochaska, Norcross and DiClemente) describes 6 stages of change (the when of change) and 9 processes (the how of change). By matching change activities to stage of change, you can help people move forward with less effort.
The Stages of Change Model can be used to guide change activities and strategies on an individual, program, agency and societal level.
In this lively, "hands-on" workshop, we will:
- learn the Transtheoretical Model of Change (TTM) in-depth - the stages, processes, markers, and the context of change
- review the latest research regarding the effectiveness of the model with different behaviours
- assess readiness to change using video and case studies
- create strategies to encourage change and explore practical applications of the model for your setting.
What they say
From post-training surveys:
"Flowed really well. Time went fast because content and activities were interesting and challenging.”
“I usually have something negative to write about a course, but I got a lot out of this one! The booklet was short and sweet and I’ll be able to refer back to it in the future, the teacher was knowledgeable and skilled, and I learned some valuable skills. Thanks!!!”
“I liked the pace, not too fast—didn’t feel rushed, not too slow, didn’t feel bored.”
“I wasn’t sure what to expect when I got here but I found the course useful and hope to put it in use. Had a really great time!”
“The best course I have ever taken.”
“Excellent class—sensitive to learner needs—able to incorporate non-threatening exercises that helped us learn and practice skills.”
“Pleasantly surprised by this workshop. Came because I should—was relevant, realistic, applicable, good variety of learning techniques. Thank you! Was a very worthwhile 2 days!”